Friday, September 24, 2010

Character of the Game

I’m an avid football fan, preferring college ball over pro ball, but with a house full of young adult males, football reigns supreme, so I watch both. I spend Saturdays watching my beloved Hogs, cheering for underdog teams that I don’t have a particular interest in and rooting for any team playing against the LSU Tigers. On Sundays I multi-task, only half-way watching a game, relying on the boys to holler (that’s “call” in Arkansas speak) at me when there is a replay of some spectacular play. This past weekend I watched Arkansas beat Georgia, Texas beat Texas Tech, LSU beat Mississippi State, Michigan State beat Notre Dame and bits and pieces of other games. Sunday, I watched the Bears beat the Cowboys and I held my breath Monday night as the Saints pulled of a last second victory over the 49ers. Without a doubt the networks had plenty of film for their highlight reels; but what caught my attention more than the big plays and bone crushing hits, were the scenes that captured the humanness in the violent game of football.

I watched Jason Witten, tight end for the Dallas Cowboys, leave the game dazed and confused after his head slammed into the turf during a tackle. The cameras zoomed in as Witten vehemently argued with Cowboys’ medical staff that he was fit to play and I could almost feel the intensity of Witten’s plea to be put back into the game.

I agonized as the Red Raiders of Texas Tech played their hearts out against the Texas Longhorns. It was obvious that the Red Raiders were out manned and even though Tommy Tubberville tried to keep his defensive line rested, making frequent substitutions whenever possible, his two safeties had to play the entire game because there wasn’t enough depth on the bench to give them a breather. I was impressed by the young safety’s composure as the Longhorns marched down the field. It was obvious he was exhausted – hands on hips and chest heaving for breath; but when Texas broke huddle and lined up on the ball; he was one of the first players to get into position.

Last, but not least, I watched the last second on the road wins of the Arkansas Razorbacks and New Orleans Saints. Both teams had early leads, but ultimately found themselves behind in the final seconds. For both teams it was “do or die” in a seemingly impossible situation; on the road with only seconds remaining. As the teams broke huddle for the last play of the game, they did so with composure and confidence, believing the impossible was possible.

I watched as teams celebrated victory and I watched as teams suffered disappointment and defeat; but I saw far more than winning and losing. I saw determination and passion as Witten pled his case. I saw patience and fortitude as the Cowboys’ medical team stood their ground. I witnessed selflessness in the Red Raider safety as he gave more than he had to give. I felt the composure of the quarterbacks and sensed the confidence each had in their team to get the job done regardless of the circumstances.

In the midst of a game that is all about winning; I saw humanness. I saw discipline. I saw passion. I saw selflessness. I saw willingness. I saw confidence. I saw composure. I saw teamwork. I saw Christ. I saw all that is life. I saw what I am called to be.



Copyright © Judith Bell 9/24/10

No comments:

Post a Comment