Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Rain for Ditches

Last week I had the privilege to attend the Global Leadership Summit. The agenda included big name authors and speakers including Bill Hybels, Seth Goodin, Michelle Rhee, Patrick Lencioni and others. The last speaker on Thursday was Steven Furtick, a young pastor from Charlotte, North Carolina. I had already experienced several aha moments, but Steven’s talk really hit home with me.


I’ve been writing weekly reflections since 2007 and even before the madness of the summer and the move to San Antonio, I had struggled with coming up with new and uplifting ideas. In other words, I was experiencing a creative drought.

I’m not the only one to find myself in the middle of a drought. There are places in Texas that haven’t had rain in over a year. This drought is the worst of the decade and most old timers say it is the worst that they remember. Hundreds of thousands of acres have failed. A friend that works in the agriculture business says that this year’s crop is the most uniform crop that they’ve had in years because everything is brown. Weather forecasters don’t offer much hope of any measurable rain in the near future. The water situation is so dire, that lakes have dried up revealing remnant of Old Bluffton, an 1850’s era Texas community that flooded in 1937 with the opening of a damn.

Last Thursday, even though the temperatures soared into the triple digits, there was a 30% chance of rain for the San Antonio area. Now, 30% doesn’t sound like much, but there was a hope that rain would come. Unfortunately, San Antonio didn’t get rain, but I was spiritually rained on!

Furtick told the story of Elisha, the prophet (2 Kings 3:1-20). The quick version of the story goes like this: The kings of Israel, Edom and Judah set out to do battle with the Moabites. They set out and after marching for seven days, ran out of water. Of course, the initial response was panic but then they remember the prophet, Elisha. The kings reach out to Elisha. Elisha is insolent to the kings, but finally tells the kings what to do. He tells them, “dig ditch after ditch” so that the valley can be filled with water.”

I can only imagine the kings’ responses and questions! How could digging a ditch possibly bring water that was so desperately needed? Because it is in the ditch that hope comes. I was already inspired by Furtick’s message, but it was this line that brought the rain; “If you will dig the ditches, God will send the rain.” What a refreshing reminder that “faith is the reality of what is hoped for, and the proof of what is not seen (Hebrews 11:1).


It was difficult to admit that I hadn’t been digging any ditches lately. So, I found a scrap of paper and started writing. I started the ditch and the rain came.

“God doesn’t call you to have the faith to finish. He calls you to have the faith to get started.”

                                                                                                                                       - Steven Furtick

Copyright©2011 Judith Bell




1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Judith. I think I may need to dig some ditches! :) I miss you but I'm thrilled to see you glow with happiness in this new leg of your life journey!

    ReplyDelete