Friday, August 20, 2010

Opening the Door

J.B. is the baby of his family and has assumed primary supervisory responsibility of his 91 year-old mother. I’ve never met Mrs. V, but apparently she is something else! She lives by herself, has a cell phone that she knows how to use, still drives and generally is the queen of the house. I repeatedly tell J.B. how much I admire his unflappable patience with his mother. I usually laugh when J.B. tells me a Mrs. V story, but last night’s story though worrisome, gave me pause and caused me to seriously consider how I invite others to Christ.


Sunday afternoon a white pick-up pulled up to the curb in front of Mrs. V’s house. A man knocked on her front door and when she answered told her that he was from Texas State Technical College and was painting house numbers on curbs. She talked to him through the screen door for a while, but quickly tired and invited him in. He told her that he had been in prison for 17 years, but she shouldn’t worry, because after all he hadn’t hurt anyone to get there. In between hearing about how she asked him if he was on drugs and him starting to “use cuss words” my mind went to the ugly place. My heart was racing as J.B. told this and I assure you that my positive intent meter had dipped into the extremely low range for Mrs. V’s Sunday visitor.

After my outburst and tirade of all of the bad things that could have happened, J.B. casually said, “I really can’t be too upset with her; after all, the only perfect human on this earth opened the door to everyone. “ Those calmly uttered words stopped me in my tracks and demanded that I pay attention. There was a message that I needed to hear.

J.B. was right; Christ wasn’t selective with his invitations. He opened the door to those who were imprisoned, to those who were addicted, to those who were without, to those who had made poor choices and to those who were different.” He invited in the poor, the unclean, the unsavory, the sick, the lonely and the unfamiliar. Christ wasn’t choosey when it came to inviting others into a relationship with him.

Far too often, I not only close but also lock the door on people that threaten the safety of the world I have created. I avert my eyes from the homeless man on the corner begging for money. I cross the street to avoid greeting the woman that is unclean and grubby looking. I tsk, tsk the objectionable body art and piercings of a teenager. Far too often, I practice selective discipleship by inviting only those who are similar in status, appearance and culture to experience the love of Christ.

Mrs. V’s invitation of hospitality to a stranger reminded me that Christ is available to everyone, not just to those with whom I am comfortable. Patrick Patterson from Volunteers of America Michigan says it best; “He set the standard and didn't provide any exceptions.”

And because I have already been invited in and have experienced His grace, I am to unlock the door of my heart and invite others in, as well.

                                                                                                                  Judith  8/20/10


Copyright © Judtih Bell 2010

1 comment:

  1. Hi Judith,
    I just happened upon your blog, caught by the reference to Volunteers of America. I work at VOA of Florida. Thanks for sharing the above story. Although my life is dedicated to helping those experiencing homelessness, mental illness and substance abuse,I, too, sometimes forget that grace is for everyone. I appreciate the reminder!

    ReplyDelete