Monday, August 16, 2010

The Zombie Plan

There really are times that I’m convinced that Lee Bray is not my child and was in fact swapped at birth. There is absolutely no way that this now 24 year-old belongs to me. Yes, I’ve always known that he marches to his own drummer and lives to the far left of what most people consider normal. The fact that my genius child is a struggling tattoo artist and believes in zombies is still something that I’m grappling to accept.


Where Lee comes up with some of the stuff he comes up with is beyond me. I’ve always - and I mean always - wondered about how his mind works. He is the most eclectic, free-thinking person I know. He can talk knowledgably about anything from ancient history to urban legends to pop culture and is the only person that I know for sure who has actually read Dante’s Inferno.

So, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that he has immeasurable information about zombies. Don’t ask me because I couldn’t even begin to explain why, but for years he has talked about how zombies are going to take over the world. For the most part, the zombie conversation is brought up after he has watched some horror film or has seen some obscure program on late, late, late night television. I admit that I usually don’t give him my full attention when he starts talking zombies. I listen with one ear, nod my head and utter a “really” every now and then for good measure. That was true until he laid out his escape plan for when Haitian zombies invade.

He was dead serious (no pun intended) when he laid out the master escape plan in detail. His entire plan is based on the theory that when the Haitian zombie invasion begins, it will be in our best interest to leave the city and head for the country. He gave Reid, Evan and me specific instructions about where to meet, where we are to stop for gas and supplies and where we are to go—to Sarepta, Louisiana and my parents’ house. I won’t bore you with the details, but trust me; he has a plan to survive the zombie invasion. Like I said, there are times when I’m absolutely convinced that there is no way in this world that the boy belongs to me. I am telling you the honest truth; he has a plan for evading zombies but doesn’t have a clue about what he is going to do with the rest of his life. Go figure.

There are certain things in life that make you go “hmmmmmm” and Lee’s zombie plan is one of those things. Regardless of how farfetched and unrealistic the need for a zombie plan seems, I am reminded that having a plan helps provide direction, reach goals and unravel the future. Coming up with a plan is the easy part; putting God in the plan--not so much so. Though I hate to admit it, I have repeatedly found myself ignoring God’s plan for my life and am continually having to find ways to out-maneuver the zombies.

While I don’t always see God’s overall plan, it is comforting to know that God really doesn’t need much from me to accomplish His plan for my life. He needs my mind, heart and spirit to open to His presence. He needs my willingness to let go of where I want to go and how I want to get there. He needs to me to allow Him to be the fiber of my very being.

Unless I allow God to be the designer of my life plan, I might as well be planning for the zombie invasion.

Copyright © 2010 Judith Bell

Judith Bell 8/13/10

No comments:

Post a Comment