Wednesday, November 10, 2010

God's Canvas

Opening the text message with the attached photo was one of those “take your breath away moments.” I immediately sent back the reply; “Beautiful! It is now my new screen saver.” My immediate thought was “God’s canvas.”

My next thought was that of a preschool classroom. One of my fondest memories of being a preschool teacher is that of watching two- and three-year-olds stand at an easel with paint brush in hand. They always approach the blank piece of paper the same way; wet paint brush palmed and held at one of the top corners of the easel. When they are ready to make the first colorful stroke, they use their entire body as the paint brush; making broad, slashing strokes as they fill the paper with color. Their enthusiasm for creating is contagious. If I close my eyes and let my imagination go, I can picture God, the Creator, dipping His brush into the majestic colors of the universe and using the sky as His canvas, and using broad, slashing strokes to fill the sky with color.

I went searching for Scripture that captured the essence of the sunset and found Psalm 19 verses 1-6 -

“The heavens proclaim the glory of God. The skies display his craftsmanship. Day after day they continue to speak; night after night they make him known. They speak without a sound or word; their voice is never heard. Yet their message has gone throughout the earth and their words to all the world. God has made a home in the heavens for the sun. It bursts forth like a radiant bridegroom after his wedding. It rejoices like a great athlete eager to run the race. The sun rises at one end of the heavens and follows its course to the other end.” (Psalm 19: 1-6)

The photo and the words of David reminded me of three very important things.

1. At the end of the day, regardless of what happens, God is going to be there.
2. God has made my life a canvas and it is my responsibility to create something.
3. God has a plan for me and all I have to do is follow the course.



This is a day that the Lord has made!


Copyright © 2010 Judith Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment