Sunday, November 21, 2010

Not Enough Stars

Between 1840 and the mid 1950s, polio was a worldwide epidemic. At the height of the polio epidemic in 1952, there were nearly 60,000 cases with more than 3,000 deaths reported in the United States alone. Polio often resulted in partial or full paralysis and common treatments included the use of body casts and other supportive devices.


In his Thanksgiving sermon, entitled Deep Thanks, Dr. Don Webb recounted a story told to him as a young man beginning his first pastorate in Ohio. The pastor had spent time visiting a young girl hospitalized with polio. She spent her days and nights in bed, strapped to a board with little else to do but to gaze out the window. When the pastor asked her what she did to pass the time, the girl replied, “I play with the stars.” She went on to tell about how she picked out a star and then said what she was thankful for; she picked the brightest star for her mother and the twinkliest star for her brother. She also thanked the stars for the flowers, the trees, family and so on. When she finished listing what she was thankful for, she looked at the pastor and said, “God didn’t make enough stars.” Considering there are over 30 billion trillion stars in the observable universe; that is deep thanks.

I have much for which to be thankful; family, health, work, friends, and quality of life. If I were to stand outside tonight and begin labeling stars, those would easily be the brightest and easiest stars to point out and whisper a silent prayer of gratitude. However, as I go through my list, I am reminded of Paul’s words in 1 Thessalonians; “…be thankful in all circumstances.” The part about “in all circumstances” makes the task of thankfulness somewhat more difficult. Yet, a thankful spirit is what I am called to offer unto the Lord.

Tonight I plan to take some time, stand in my front yard and play with the stars. I plan on thanking God for the times I’ve laughed until I’ve cried. I plan on thanking God for the time I’ve spent with loved ones. I plan on thanking God for the long line at the grocery store that made me slow down, take a deep breath and realize that there was no need to rush. I plan on thanking God for the challenging week that I’ve had and that I’ve been able to move through it without a complete emotional breakdown.

And finally, and perhaps most importantly, I plan on thanking God.


Psalm 100
A Psalm for grateful praise


Shout to the Lord, all the earth
Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.
Know that the Lord is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.


*Story written with permission of Dr. Don Webb


Copyright © 2010 Judith Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment