Friday, February 11, 2011

A Thing Called Love

Philosophers, theologians, poets, authors and playwrights have tried to put a definition to the thing we call love. With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, women across the United States are hoping that the man in their lives will remember the roses and chocolates. Approximately 189 million stems of roses, most of them red and over 1.1 billion boxed chocolates weighing 58 million pounds will be purchased on Cupid’s favorite day.

What is this thing that we call love? The musical group Queen sang about love.
This thing called love I just can't handle it
This thing called love I must get round to it
I ain’t ready
Crazy little thing called love

Webster defined love as: (1) strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties (2) attraction based on affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests (3) unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another. Webster’s definition is just that, a definition. Though well articulated, Webster’s definition doesn’t capture the essence of love or its importance to the human race.

Martin Luther King, Jr. defined love as, “…the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.” Rabindranath Tagore said, “Love is not a mere sentiment. Love is the ultimate truth at the heart of creation.” Elizabeth Barrett Browning penned these words about love; “I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. I love you not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you are asking of me. I love you for that part of me you bring out.”  Love is nebulous and perhaps it is only meant to be accepted and not understood.

Earlier this week I received the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nxWZ6IgqRfY

I believe, after you listen to the words of thirteen- year- old Logan, there will be little doubt as to what true love is. Click now, sit back and wait to be wowed.  A thirteen-year-old Nebraska boy defined love for us. Quite simply, God is love.




Copyright © 2011 Judith Bell






No comments:

Post a Comment