Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Name Brand

There is just something about a name. I’ve always been Judith or when in trouble, Judith Ann. I’ve never been a Judy. My mother was absolutely adamant about that and she immediately corrected anyone who happened to call me Judy. Judith was not my mom’s first choice of names. In fact, my mom didn’t name me; my dad did and the ink was already dry on the birth certificate by the time she knew what was going on. The name “Judith” is of Hebrew origin and means “from Judea; Jewish.” In the Apocrypha, Judith is a heroine, who after beheading the commander of the Assyrian army incited the Hebrew army to victory. I’ve never incited an army, but I’m sure that I’ve incited a thing or two during my life, so I guess the name fits.

Names are important. Name recognition is important. Just ask any marketing or public relations guru. Name brands aren’t called name brands for nothing. I’m not a pure purchaser of name brands because I usually buy store and off-name products to help reduce grocery and household living expenses. However, there are some things that have to be name brand. There is absolutely no way that Great Value or Food Club peanut butter tastes better than Jiff. Kraft Macaroni and Cheese beats the others hands down. And let’s face it; Diet Dr. Pepper can’t be replaced by Diet Dr. Thunder. Other must-have name brands include Campbell’s Tomato Soup, Wheat Thins, Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing, Nestle Quick, Hunt’s Ketchup, Velveeta, Crystal Light Drink Mix, Charmin Tissue, Puffs with Lotion, Blue Bell Ice Cream and Jell-O Instant Pudding.

Moses had a name brand experience at the burning bush. The infamous question Moses asked God was about a name; “…suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what should I tell them? God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM’ (also translated as I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE). This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.” (Exodus 3:13-14)

God, being God and making sure that He has made His point goes on to say, “God also said to Moses, ‘Say to the Israelites, The LORD, the God of your fathers – the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob – has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, the name you shall call me from generation to generation.” (Exodus 3:13-14)

My name is mine. I like it. It fits my personality; but doesn’t belong only to me. There are others that share the name, Judith. However, God’s name is like no other name. The words of David are as true today as they were years ago; “LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!” (Psalm 8:1).

God is God and there is no generic replacement for what or who He is. There are times when He is Abba, Lord, Master, Advocate, Comforter, Counselor, Teacher, Servant, Savior, King of Kings, Deliverer, Creator, Father, Redeemer, Prince of Peace, King of Kings, Immanuel, Jehovah, Alpha and Omega.

God is a name brand God; you know what you are getting with Him. He is who He is. Blessed are we that He will always be what we need Him to be. Praise be to God.

Copyright © 2011 Judith Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment