Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Insurance

(written 4/27/ll)

I respect the power and fury of a severe storm system. I used to sit on the window ledge of my 8th floor dorm room and watch the lightning strikes on nearby mountains. I’ve lived in Iowa and have seen the sky turn eerily yellow and then black and I’ve spent a number of hours in a basement waiting for the all clear to be sounded. But, truth be told, I love a good thunderstorm. I’ve never wanted to be a storm chaser, but I’m not afraid the thunder, lightning or all of the other elements of stormy weather.


Tuesday night was an exception. I stood on the front porch and watched as the clouds rolled, the wind picked up and the storm broke loose. That was until a local television station’s radar showed a strip of white embedded in a strip of red bearing down on Swartz, my little corner or the world. It was somewhat alarming seeing Swartz isolated from the larger Monroe community. I didn’t get to fret about that too long, because it was about that time that the power went out.

Lee and I visited by candlelight for a while and then went to bed. I heard several loud bouts of thunder during the night, but nothing that really caused alarm. The power was still out at six o’clock Wednesday morning and I was left to go about the morning routine in relative darkness. I let the dogs out, got my Diet Dr. Pepper and went to get dressed. I was in the back when I heard someone pounding on my front door; a sure sign that something was wrong. When I opened the door I was surprised to see a neighbor from around the corner surrounded by Teak, Flocka and Annie, my three dogs. I must have had a bewildered look on my face because Tyler immediately said, “You have a tree down in the backyard and part of your fence is gone.” Sure enough, sometime during the night, a 15 year Bradford Pear tree had been uprooted and had taken out a large section of the wooden privacy fence. Sensing freedom, the dogs had bolted and were roaming the neighborhood.

I called my parents to arrange for a doggie visit and waited until eight o’clock to call the insurance company. A quick check around the outside of the house revealed only minor damage: the uprooted tree, the destroyed fence, some missing siding, and a few blown off shingles. I had to check my deductible; but came to the quick conclusion that regardless of the amount I was glad that I was covered. Insurance is a funny thing. You know you have it but you don’t think about it until you need it. Too many times that is the same way we think about God; He’s there, but not thought about until something bad happens. The difference is that God’s insurance is free; we call that grace and God’s insurance doesn’t have a deductible; we call him Christ. Because of the cross we are always covered by God’s insurance.

The damage to my home was minor but it took most of the day to get things settled. The dogs were loaded up and taken to my parents. The adjuster came and went and the clean-up will be scheduled. As the chaos of the day wound down, I was able to draw a parallel between the damages and God’s insurance.

• Uprooted tree – It is God in whom I am rooted and firmly held
• Demolished fence – God is my hedge of salvation
• Missing siding – God is always at my side
• Damaged roof – God’s banner over me is love

God is the ultimate insurance policy, but it is his assurance that covers me in peace and hope; “My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be shaken. On God my salvation and my glory rest; The rock of my strength, my refuge is in God. Trust in Him at all times, O people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.” – Psalm 62: 5-8


Copyright © 2011 Judith Bell

****Deadly thunderstorms have swept across the south from Texas to the East Coast killing over 200 people. Please remember these families and communities in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment