Friday, May 6, 2011

You Can't Always Get What You Want

The presumptuousness of people never ceases to amaze me. One of the hottest sports stories this week is the Carolina Panther’s rookie, Cam Newton’s, wish to wear the No. 2 jersey that is currently in the possession of Jimmy Clausen. I seem to remember something about possession being nine tenths of the law. I wonder why Cam can’t be satisfied with being one of the most highly recruited college players of the year.


I’ve been obstinate a time or two in my life, but probably one of the most obstinate maneuvers I ever employed was refusing to go to school in the fourth grade. That was the year that Mrs. McGinnis, my favorite teacher at Avondale Elementary School, started teaching fourth grade and I wasn’t assigned to her classroom. All of you who have been on the receiving end of my sometimes obstinate behavior can blame my parents because they caved and petitioned to have me moved from Mrs. Harpole’s class to Mrs. McGinnis’ class. In the end, I got what I wanted.

I could have retired and bought my own island if I had a dollar for every time I have uttered or heard the words, “I want.” Let’s see; I’ve wanted a new car, a new pair of shoes, a certain piece of jewelry, straight hair, to be able to do something, to have something change, a new cell phone or whatever new gadget is currently being advertised. I have fervently prayed for others to like me, for a good grade, for a change of circumstance and in general, for things to turn out like I wanted.

But the truth of the matter is that we can’t and don’t always get what we want. We can beg, plead, pout and stomp our feet, but sooner or later we have to learn to be content with what we have, where and who we are. There comes a time when we have to cowgirl up and admit that God knows best. It pains me to admit, but it all comes down to admitting that I’m not the one in control. I somehow have to learn to be in the place where God has me. The place where God has placed me has a purpose bigger than what I want. Recognizing and accepting that is called contentment. Contentment means that we can accept God’s point of view. Being content means that we have learned to trust in God’s promises.

Sadly, there are times when the obstinate fourth grade attitude still rears its ugly head. When that happens and I find myself wanting something more, something different, I wish I could say that the first words of assurance that I remember are the words of Jeremiah 29:11 and Philippians 4:13. However, more often than not, it is Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones singing “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” that puts me in my place and reminds me that I am not the one in control.

                                                                       Be content with what you have,
                                                                       rejoice in the way things are.
                                                                       When you realize there is nothing lacking,
                                                                       the whole world belongs to you.
                                                                                                                 - Lao Tzu


Copyright © 2011 Judith Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment